Sunday, October 7, 2012

Memories and Alzheimer's Disease

It’s weird and magnificent at the same time how the brain works and how it lets us form long term memories while at times we only form short term memories. It was my seventh birthday party and all my family was in my house celebrating. Then someone really special to me comes up to me sort of repeating some things and then looking kind of confused and at the same time with that very loving stare. Later I would find out as I grew older and was able to understand the concept of life better, that [she] was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Disease. From there on, she would repeat her sentences more and would sometimes forget what she was saying. My family told me, ‘one day she will even forget how to eat’. I was still not sure what that meant, and I always thought well how can someone forget how to eat?! Then, how will they live? When I was little I would hear my family say that she would get really sentimental and cry for no apparent reason. Clearly she was experiencing a change in her mood. It’s been 14 years since those memories and even though I do not remember the place where I was exactly and word by word of what happened, I can still remember the big picture and the most important aspect of those days. I am so thankful that today she is still here. She does not talk, does not move, she’s in a bed all day in the same position sort of sleeping all day, she is thin and every time thinner, but she has all the love in the world from all of us and constant care from the person that loves her most: her husband.  Her sons and daughters as well as nurses constantly go to check up on her and see how she’s doing. For others it is hard to see her in that condition, therefore deciding to stay away to avoid the pain.

From being able to say complete sentences to just blurting out words and letting us complete her sentences to getting after her husband so we could laugh as she used to do it when we were little, are all memories I can certainly not forget.  Alzheimer’s made her forget us, her memories, and her ability to do daily things, but what is most important is that she is here today. I know that for some people Alzheimer’s can complicate their health issues therefore making it harder to get to stage 7 of Alzheimer’s disease. In the future, I really have hope in someone finding a cure for Alzheimer’s disease.

This video shows step by step how the brain is damaged by Alzheimer's and how plaques and tangles play a significant role in his disease. It also explains how the disease progresses until a last stage. Very informative and easy to understand.

2 comments:

  1. Your birthday example is very vivid. Sorry to hear about your relative having Alzheimer’s; my grandma was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s as well. My grandma wound up forgetting everyone as well, remembering brings a tear to my eyes. I am happy that she is still here pushing through, may God bless her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely relate to your experience. Although my grandmother's Alzheimer is barely in the beginning stages, i am deeply worried that in a couple of years it will get really bad as well. I think that the most important thing is that you still have wonderful memories of her. Even though this disease has changed her and has affected the people around her they're alteast there for her. I know of alot of families that can't take care of their family members because they dont have the time and for them they become a burden. Its really sad :(. Your website link was very useful. It helps educate others more on what exactly AD is and it can help answer any questions they may have. I just realized that we both posted the same video! too funny. What i liked about it was that it used very good visuals. You can see the order in which the tangles and plaques are spread and how memory is its first target. Since i haven't gone too much into detail about this disease i wonder if they could make and enzyme that would kill these proteins or tangles before they begin to multiply. I'm sure that it depends on the person and in what stage of AD you are at which can make a huge difference.
    Maybe if you sacrifice a small amount of brain cells in order to destroy these plaques so you can save the rest of the cells in your brain.

    ReplyDelete