Monday, October 15, 2012

Unable to Feel Pain...

I can never forget the first time I flat ironed my hair. I was around 12 years old, and I saw my sister flat iron her hair every day. How can I forget my first experience with the iron if I burned my ear?! I felt a sting at the top of my ear therefore making my arm respond in pulling away the iron from my ear. It is stingy at first, and it started to sting even more until it suddenly began to itch, after a while the pain started to fade away. Then comes the scab which is also a little itchy. Anyways, so pain huh?  Let me discuss CIPA. What does CIPA mean? First of all, it stands for: Congenital Insensitivity to Pain with Anhidrosis. Basically what this means is that a person is unable to feel pain, temperature, and decreased or absent sweating. The person can feel touch but the brain doesn’t receive signals of experiencing pain. Now, we ALL need pain to survive in this world. With an inability to feel pain, we are not able to avoid dangers and life-threatening situations.
Gabby is around 10 years old now, and since she was a baby her parents could tell she was different. At a very young stage in her life she started chewing her fingers, biting through the skin and almost reaching her bone, if it hadn’t been thanks to her mother’s intervention. By age 2 she had to have her teeth removed since it was a danger to her tongue and body. Another incidence was when she scratched her cornea. The doctor could only recommend gel eye at the time. Eventually, Gabby scratched her eyes so badly, one of them had to be replaced with a non-functional prosthesis, and was given safety goggles to protect her and the poor sight from her other eye. At the same time, she constantly would burn the inside of her mouth since she couldn’t feel the hotness of the food she would eat.  Not only did she not feel pain, but she also suffered from anhidrosis which means that she cannot sweat therefore making it extremely difficult for her to maintain her body temperature stable. The link shows a video about Gabby and her rare disorder. Gabby will struggle with this disorder all her life; even though she has learned to be a little more careful, she still is innocent and numb when it comes to painful stimuli.
With this said, even though most of us don’t enjoy feeling pain, it is necessary for survival. Many of us probably feel like it is better to not feel pain at all not only physically but emotionally too, but the truth is we need to experience pain.

5 comments:

  1. ha! you made such a valid point! many of us do feel like we dont need pain in order to survive and are much better off without it! But we do sight off the fact that it is essential for us to feel pain in order to perceive the outside world and protect ourself. I absolutely hate it when i burn my tongue with coffee, but i realize now that is a way my body protects itself from further damage. I wonder why the disorder is what is is? I mean what does on in our nervous system that the brain doesn't obtain the signal? The story of Gabby is so touching i have never heard or seen anyone who can not perceive pain. I can't imagine what it would be like to take care of a child with that type of disorder, but it sure excites me to know if i make it to my masters i will be able to help them face everyday trails and challenges! It is even bold enough to say that pain is the reason why we feel joy! I mean think about it if we never knew what pain was we would never know what true joy is either. Your blog was very insightful and made me realize that i am blessed to feel pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, Gabby's case is definitely something you don't hear about everyday. I feel like she might also suffer some kind of mental problems because i mean if shes 10 years old she would learn by that time that scratching your eyes or biting parts of your own body is not something normal. I mean even though i know she doesnt feel pain i still kinda feel like it doesnt entirely explain why she would do what she would do. or maybe it her own body that is so out if order that makes her do it? I wonder if there has been any extensive research on disease that can sort of explain how it comes about. Overall i definitely agree with you, although pain sucks, it is useful for our survival. I know my father has many patients where there pain receptors in certain parts of thier body dont function very well and for example will be using a heating pad and fall asleep and will burn themselves badly without feeling a things. Its pretty scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With so many books and articles coming up to give gateway to make-money-online field and confusing reader even more on the actual way of earning money, MP3 Player For Audiobooks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve been searching for some decent stuff on the subject and haven't had any luck up until this point, You just got a new biggest fan!.. 7 Top Reviewed

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi to everybody, here everyone is sharing such knowledge, so it’s fastidious to see this site, and I used to visit this blog daily 香港交友網

    ReplyDelete